The Wildlife Conservation Society Singapore is looking for an office manager. Please see details below.
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) saves wildlife and wild places worldwide. We do sothrough science, global conservation, education and the management of the world’s largest systemof urban wildlife parks, led by the flagship Bronx Zoo. We are an international non-profit, non-Governmental Organization (NGO). Together, WCS’s nearly 4,000 staff members in New York Cityand around the world work to change attitudes toward nature and help people imagine wildlife andhumans living in harmony.
The WCS Singapore Office is looking for an individual with interests in environmental and/or wildlife conservation issues and keen to work for a non-profit NGO. If you are talented andcommitted to making a difference for wildlife and wild places, we’d like you to join our efforts.
Summary of Position Function
The Office Manager is Singapore-based and will report to the Country Director, with a dotted-line report to the WCS Comptroller. The primary objective is to establish and oversee efficient systems for financial and personnel management for the WCS Singapore Office. S/he will maintain appropriate communication with WCS Singapore office staff, key donors and funding agencies and local governmental institutions (e.g. Ministries of Finance, Labor etc.). S/he will coordinate and consult regularly with the Global Service Center (WCS-New York) to manage timely and accurate submission to WCS of reports. Responsibilities include:
• New office set up (including purchasing furniture and organizing necessary internet and othercconnections as necessary)
• Ensure financial efficiency in all aspects of operations, advising the Country Director of anyproblems or weakness in financial controls and procedures, and any ways in which costscould be reduced
• Strengthen and document local administrative and financial policies and procedures• Ensure that highest standards of financial integrity are followed
• Ensure that all projects/activities in the country program are respecting national legislationincluding customs regulations, labor rights, taxes, benefits, etc.• Ensure that WCS Singapore fulfills all compliance and reporting obligations to ACRA, EDB,and Charities Commission, adheres to labour, tax and immmigration laws, and any otherobligations to the Singapore Government (e.g. CPF).
• Budgeting, projections and cash flow management•Assist the Country Director in preparing budgets for project proposals and annual budgeting
•Maintain the budget, including preparation of budget adjustments according to established procedures
• Ensure that up-to-date figures for costs of staff salaries and benefitsMaintain an accurate database of project funding, including contracts, project budgets and donor-specific procedures and regulations
• Monitoring and managing expenditures
• Ensure that all expenditures are made in accordance with established procedures, includingverification of supporting documents and budget availability
• Monitor and review expenditure against budgets on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis byproject and for country office as a whole
• Prepare monthly reports of expenditure against budgets for internal use, including monitoringof expenditure against project activity budgets as well as WCS project, org and account code.
• Where expenditures on projects is not in line with budgets, bring this to the attention ofthe project director and/or country director and make recommendations to adjust spendingaccordingly
• Monitor all bank transactions in coordination with WCS NY and check and approve monthlybank reconciliations by the 5th day of the following month
• Where funds are received in-country, ensure that these are correctly reported, recorded andposted to the appropriate project, org and account code• Oversee cross-charging to other country programs as per established procedures
• Ensure complete accounting records are maintained including vouchers, authorizations, and reconciliations, including both paper and electronic records. Ensure that back ups are made offinancial data at least twice per week, and that a copy of the latest back up is maintained at asecure location out of the office.
• Ensure proper tracking of project advances to staff, ensuring that advances are accounted forin a timely manner according to WCS procedures, and that an accurate balance sheet is keptof each staff member’s outstanding advances.
• Prepare and submit accounting and reporting on all country project expenditures to WCSNew York according to WCS established procedures and deadlines
• Oversee monthly and year-end closure of accounts, reports and bank reconciliations• In consultation with the WCS Country Director and the Project Managers, ensurecommunication, reporting and administrative requirements of donors are met
Audit and quality control
• Ensure that all transactions entered into the system in the central office are correctly andconsistently recorded, including donor and/or activity information where needed.
• Ensure that revenue and expenditure posted by WCS NY is correct, and is assigned to thecorrect project, org and account codes, and where problems are found ensure that these areresolved with the appropriate staff in NY along with project staff as required
• Supervise regular petty cash counts out on a weekly basis• Assist in preparation of internal and/or external audits, prepare audit responses and ensure implementation of accepted recommendations
Contracts and sub-awards
• Review budgets for contracts and sub-awards to other organizations to verify that costs are reasonable and sufficient for proposed activities, and meet donor requirements for budgetpresentation
• Ensure that contractees and sub-awardees meet financial reporting requirements
• Where necessary, perform audits of contractee or sub-awardee financial systems and reports
• Assist the Country Director in establishing salary scales and other benefits, terms andconditions of employment, leave and work schedules in adherence with country programguidelines and following the national labor laws.
• Oversee preparation of payroll including taxes and other statutory deductions, Ensure salaryadvances are paid and recovered according to WCS’s established procedures.
• Monitor leave taken by staff, ensure all leave is approved by supervisors and track leavetaken by each staff on an annual basis.• Ensure that complete personnel files are kept for all staff employed by the country office.
• Oversee expatriate staff administration and logistics (visas and work permits, travel)
General administration and logistics
• Oversee management of country office, including lease arrangements and payment ofrent, property insurance, procurement of office supplies, furniture and equipment, securityarrangements, and supervision of maintenance and cleaning.
• Ensure that equipment and supplies are procured according to project needs and budget, andthat supplies and equipment are inventoried, issued and used in accordance with established procedures
• Assist with other administrative support as required• Assist with internal communications within WCS and between WCS and partners inSingapore.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Singaporean or PR Experience in accountancy/accountancy qualifications, skills in accountancy software such as QuickenExperience in project/financial management, budget development, tracking and reporting.
• Meticulous attention to detail and commitment to quality.Excellent organizational skills, including ability to set and follow priorities, work on multipleprojects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work with a wide varietyof people from different backgrounds and cultures.Strong writing skills required. Ability to produce clear and concise email communications.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.Interest in and knowledge of environmental issues preferred.
•Interest in working for a non-profit organization and experience in working with othercountries in Asia preferred.
End Date: 25th February, 2011
Image taken from www.susty.com